View Single Post
Old 10-20-2005, 10:58 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical way ahead or way behind situation

Shouldn't this be pretty similar to calling an all-in preflop with a middle pair if you now your opponent has AK?

Basically, considering that you're 50/50, every bet/call you make is EV neutral. Does your opponent know that you can put him on either KK or JJ? If that's the case, he should check/fold JJ bet or call with KK, mixing things up on occasion (bluff with JJ, check-raise KK, etc).

The problem is that the typical opponent will play JJ and KK exactly the same on that flop, and you have absolutely no way of knowing what he could have.

It's basically like any call-a-flip situation preflop. If I think I have a significant edge over my opponents, I'm going to wait for a better situation. If I have a small edge or even a dog to the field, I'll try to get my money in and hope for the best.

Obviously you don't need to play for your stack here, but I think the basic idea is that you need to determine whether it's worth it or not to put any chips in, and if you decide it is, then it's worth it to commit your whole stack.