View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Wireless Poker Playing: Does it Work Well?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Speed is not an issue, it security. Just remember not matter what kind of encryption you use on your WiFi signal it can be intercepted and hacked. 128 bit encryption will only keep out the n00bs, a real hacker can break 128 bit. If you want security don’t gamble over a WiFi connection.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi acme,

I currently have an Ethernet LAN that I would continue to use to make any deposits, withdrawals or other account activities. Are there any security issues on a WIFI if I'm just logging on to a site and playing? If so, what would they be?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Basically you are broadcasting your password every time you log in. It's not that hard for some kid to find your WIFI network and "sniff" all the packets looking for your password. Once they have your password who knows what they could do to your account.

It's scary how unsafe WIFI can be, but odds are you wont get hacked. I am writing to you on a WIFI network right now, so it's not like I'm some crazy WIFI hating nut, I love it. I have all my A/V equipment running over WIFI, it's really cool. I can turn my TV on from China if I needed to [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It really comes down to how much of a risk are you willing to take. If you know the network you are on is unsafe just take precautions, don't use your CC while on wireless, don't log in to your bank account. Don't deposit $$$ in to your poker account. You know, the basic precautions.

Just so you know, just by odds alone your home network is safer because someone has to find it. Open networks like at a coffee shop are the worst. I can get most peoples passwords right from the air with out even doing anything illegal.

The two BEST things you can do to prevent the nerd kid next door from snooping is 1) CHANGE THE PASSWORD ON YOUR WIRELESS ROUTER - You have no idea how many people don't even know that there is a standard IP address for every router and if someone finds find yours and you haven't changed your password they have complete control of your wireless network.
2) USE ENCRYPTION - Yes it's a pain in the butt to remember some 20 letter/number password, but it will stop most people from hacking in to your network.

If you need to know how to do any of these thigs let me know I can walk you through it.