View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Using \"Democrat\" as an adjective

[ QUOTE ]
So, while ex-Governor Clinton was campaigning he managed to say "President Bush" a total of five times? And, gee whiz, I missed all five of them.

Or maybe his refusal to use the man's title was so overwhelming I formed an incorrect memory. Should I apologize? Or send his campaign managers a belated note of congratulations?

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, now. Do you seriously believe that these were the only five times? Here's a hint: to test your statement, I ran a search of a large commercial news database for the word "Clinton" within 3 words of "speech", date limited to between mid-April and mid-October 1992. There were well over 2000 article hits. I then searched within those articles for the phrase "President Bush". There were over 1000 hits. I then browsed the hits, which are presented in reverse chronological order, for actual Clinton quotes. I stopped looking after five, because five within a few weeks are enough to establish that you are wrong. I am quite confident that I could find more. Care to place a wager on it?

I am not going to speculate on the reasons for your memory. It is sufficient to say that your memory is disconnected from reality. For example, you said in your original post that Clinton referred to Bush as just "Bush". I did not see that in the articles I browsed. I saw "President Bush", "Mr. Bush", and "George Bush", but never just "Bush". I'm not saying that it never happened, but the suggestion in your post that it was pervasive is just as wrong as your assertion that Clinton refused to refer to the President as "President Bush". Whether your faulty memories are a result of some hostility to Clinton on your part, hostility to the Democratic party, or some other reason is not particularly relevant.