View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 09:05 PM

Default Re: AK and SNG\'s, I have alot of questions and no answers.

I play at Party. I don't know how this would work at Stars, but here's what I've tried, and it's worked very well.

If I'm out of position with AK, I'll raise about 10xBB. I'll usually get 0 or 1 callers. The big raise will often take it down, but I'm fine with that as AK is a difficult hand to play OOP, especially if you have more than 1 caller, as you're finding out.

If I get only 1 or 2 callers, I'll fire a continuation bet of 1/2 pot. My experience has been that this will take the pot much more than 1 out of 3 times. The key is to find a pre-flop raise that's large enough to get, on the average, one caller. That should get a lot of value for your hand.

I don't play AQ or AJ from EP. From late position I would play it the same way; make a big raise, hoping to get exactly one caller, and then follow up with a cb if the flop misses and it gets checked to me.

I'll take one shot at the pot after the flop, and then I'm done if that fails.

This has worked very well for me, but the lowest blinds at Party are 10/15, so a raise of 150 is a significant portion of the 800 you get. Another thing the large raise does, BTW, is price people off of drawing to get sets.

At any rate, my experience has been that you can get people to fold to the continuation bet, with the larger pre-flop raise.