View Single Post
Old 09-24-2005, 12:13 PM

Default A quote by Nate tha\' Great

Nate tha' Great made the following reply in this thread:

[ QUOTE ]
I think you need to continue to bet the turn most of the time here. Yes, it's annoying when these sort of players have position on you, but I think checking it to them allows them to take fullest advantage of that position. Once you check, you opponent can either:

1) Bet the turn and take a free showdown.
2) Bet the turn and bet the river as a bluff.
3) Bet the turn and bet the river for value.
4) Check the turn and take a free card.
5) Check the turn and see a showdown for one bet on the river.

That is just too many options for a player with some reasonable postflop skills.<font color="blue"> In fact, I think it is almost never correct to check both the turn and the river out of position after having the lead on the previous streets unless specifically you would be very uncomfortable if your opponent raised</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I understood perfectly until the blue part. I realize in this example that he is advocating to bet the turn and fold to a raise, but by saying it's almost never correct to check both is he implying that we should automatically bet the river if our opponent checks behind? This would make sense with a weak pair that we wanted to showdown cheaply, but does he mean to do it also with a busted draw or a big Ace high on a dry board that we checked intending to call a bet on the turn with?

Can anyone clarify what he meant by the blue part?

Thanks,
Cartman