View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Playing for a living formulae

Not sure which one you ment, but here is one:

The size of your bankroll has a lot of elements to it. Generally, players learn to live with about 300x their table limt bet (for $3/$6, that would be $1800). This takes for granted the idea that you are a proven, winning player, and make over 1.5 big bets per 100 hands. This should give you an element of ruin of less than 5% (your chance of going broke - baring poor play and tilt).

Personally,I prefer to have 25 times my standard deviation as a minimum. My SD is about 16 units. If I was playing $3/$6, that would mean for any 100 hands, my standard + or - would be $96. 25x that gives me $2400 for my "comfortable" bankroll.

Next, consider the aspect of "savings" - not playing bankroll, but the actual money you socked away to pay all of your possible expenses for at least three months. Again, I prefer six months of savings. This will allow you to weather any storm of poor/unlucky play and still pay your bills without touching your "playing bankroll."

So, If you are going to play $3/$6 and have a monthly nut of $2500 (your mandatory expenses), then you need at least $7500 in savings, and a bankroll of at least $1800. If you win 1.5 big bets or $9 per 100 hands, and play 60 hands per hour, you need to log 278 table hours of play to pay your bills. If your log 300 table hours, you can expect to add $207 to your bankroll each month.

If you play 3 tables at one time, and still make 1.5BB per 100 hands, you need to work 100 hours per month to do the above.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]