View Single Post
Old 05-14-2004, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Armchair Psychiatrist needed: managing mood swings & tilt factor?

First of all, I don't think play money is the way to go just because you're tilting. It would be real easy to develop bad habits because "it doesn't matter". I have, on occasion, gone to a play money table for a different game (Omaha, Pinapple) when things are going rough in the real money. This serves as a change of pace and an opportunity to learn a little about other games. I can approach these games from a different perspective because I don't consider myself good at these other games and don't "expect" to win (other than the fact that it is play money opponents). I don't go and play holdem like a maniac just to play.

If I don't feel like playing, I just don't. I don't have to play - I play because I want to. I don't always stop playing because things are slow or ugly, but sometimes I just don't feel like wading through a boring, painful session, so I quit - until I feel like playing again. IF something in particular in my play is bugging me, I drag down a book or two and review the situation to see if I'm making mistakes. (Usually not, but it's good to reinforce lessons.)

If you hope to make money at this game, you really need discipline to play when it's right, and don't play when it's not. Make good decisions and keep records. Being able to verify that I'm up $XXXXXXXX for the long run, makes losing $XXX in a session a little easier to take and will limit the tilt monster.

You should be modifying your play to suit your opponents, not to suit your mood.