View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Re: travelling to japan

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
$100/day ???

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
yes. I'm in college and this is my working budget. my uncle says he budgets this much when he travels, and he's not a poor man. thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming this is not to include your accomodation budget. I gather you are staying with your uncle in Kyoto but if exploring other areas like Tokyo this probably won't cut it, as a room in a hotel that caters to Westerners (and has an English speaking staff, but maybe you speak some Japanese so it won't matter) can easily cost $250/night, sometimes much more. You could opt to stay in hotels that cater to Japanese travelers, which can be cheaper but the rooms are postage stamps and English is usually not spoken. Or in Tokyo (and perhaps elsewhere) there is always the capsule hotels, where you sleep in what is essentially a human-sized kennel.

Food in Japan can be outrageously expensive, but doesn't have to be. Every depato (department store) has a food court in the basement with lots of inexpensive options. Or go to a noodle bar.

Kyoto is a great base and probably the best city in Japan for the tourist - hundreds of temples and shrines and examples of beautiful Japanese gardens and architechture. Tokyo is an absolute concrete jungle but has the best shopping and nightlife. If I was young, single and in Tokyo I'd probably be heading to Kabuki-cho.

Make sure to get off the train and take a gander at Mt Fuji when you pass by. Since it's wintertime you won't be able to climb it but the national park it's located in is very picturesque. I was in Japan around the same time last year as you will be there this year - it was cold. Dress appropriately.