View Single Post
Old 12-29-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Re: A23xs, how does this look?

[ QUOTE ]
Any suited ABC hand must get as much money in the pot preflop as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]
The statement above is true, but not necessarily tied to the statement below
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop raise is mandatory with your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes you'll get more money in the pot preflop with this hand by calling, not raising.
By calling, OP got 3bb in the pot, and (to a lesser extent) left an opening for someone to raise behind.
Had he raised in MP with on caller in front, can he guarantee at least 2 callers and 3bb? Well, at this level I'd say yes about 60% of the time, but that's not my full point.

IMO, the second quote a little short sighted. In fact, I think it's 'mandatory' to limp with this hand maybe 30-40% of the time. It disguises your hand, keeps your opponents guessing when you do raise PF, gives you a cheap out on the piss poor flops, and does all kinds of the other metagame stuff that IS poker.

Sometimes the best play isn't what you'd normally do.
Sometimes the best play doesn't make the most money NOW, but later...

On a side note, Buzz mentioned something about a month ago which has really stuck with me and altered my play. I'm not going to weed through all the novellas that are his posts trying to find it, but it was along the lines of:

I'll raise the top of the hour with a red A2 suited, and the bottom of the hour with a black A2 suited.

Holy Crap! How the heck is someone gonna read this randomness!

So sometimes you raise A23, sometimes you dont.