View Single Post
Old 12-28-2005, 09:34 PM

Default Re: A23xs, how does this look?

Okay, I'm sorry for this next post, but I have to. I have a few major questions regarding how some hands are seen to be played on this board and I hope this sparks some debate. My main question is, why should I continue with this hand after the flop, but fold this hand?

I've noticed that for some reason or another, weak low draws are given a lot more validity and respect than weak high hands. I hear "fold high hands when you're drawing for only half the pot," but in this hand it's obvious I'm drawing for only half the pot (this time the low), and I'm told to continue.

Perhaps this is because with the low hand I have counterfeit protection and a few more outs? At the same time, I think this is discounted by the times I only get a quarter of the pot. In my opinion, drawing for half the pot when you have only a low can be *weaker* than drawing for half the pot when you have a high-only hand because when you have the nut flush you are not going to be quartered.

In the end, I would like to see less "you're drawing for half the pot, fold," and more discussion regarding the overall EV of a particular situation. I'd like to see more discussion regarding pot odds and when it is profitable to draw to only half the pot, or a clear analysis that shows that drawing for half the pot with either a high or a low draw is clearly unprofitable.

Thanks,
-Boolean