View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 11:09 PM

Default TruePoker Cheque Fun

I made a cashout at Truepoker a week ago. I don't use NetTeller or Firepay (I might consider using them now, though), so I had to receive my payment through cheque. It took a little longer than I was expecting (they courier you cheques over $1500, and it had only taken a few days to receive my cheques in the past), but received my cheque today.

Here's where the fun begins:

1) The envelope had been opened by Customs, which is why it took longer than expected.
2) When they resealed the envelope with heavy-duty packing tape, they also managed to tape the cheque as well. When I removed the tape to open the envelope, the cheque ripped in half.
3) I then taped the cheque back together, hoping that the bank would accept it. The rip was pretty clean -- it managed to avoid any numbers. However, I don't know how strict banks are about accepting damaged cheques, so I was worried.
4) I emailed Truepoker to ask them if it would be possible for them to cancel my cheque and send me a new one. They responded that I would have to mail them back the damaged cheque first, and only then would they mail me a new one (rather than just cancelling the one I had).
5) I thought about it, and then decided to try to deposit the cheque with the rip in it. I didn't want to risk having the cheque getting "lost in the mail" on the way to Costa Rica.

But here's the best part:

6) As I'm about to deposit the cheque in the ATM, I noticed something that made the whole experience complete: They mis-spelled my name on the cheque. I emailed them back to tell them the cheque is uncashable by me (and I'm sure their records show that the cheque had a typo in it) and they repeated their request for me to mail it to them before they issue me a new one.

Sigh. I'm not a happy camper right now.