View Single Post
Old 03-03-2005, 11:42 PM

Default Re: What does straddle mean?

A straddler means, if you're sitting in one of the two seats to the right of the straddler, ask for a seat change. ;-)

But seriously, you've mostly got it right, except that conventionally the big blind is equal to the small, not the big, bet. So the straddle is twice the big blind, or generally the same as the big bet in fixed limit games.

In your example, $2/4 fixed limit, the small blind is generally $1, the big blind $2, and the straddle $4 (you had the blinds too big). But these conventions can change depending on where you play; anyone know what a straddle at say Mandalay, with $1/$2 blinds at $4/8 would be? I'm thinking $6 in that case, $2 blind + $4 bet.

Yesterday I learned at Foxwoods that the straddler can raise themself. In fact, our man tried straddling once, got two red aces, and straddled every time thereafter. I didn't mind because I was sitting to his left!

In general straddlers just like to gamble and don't care if they're playing +EV (since the straddle can't be a +EV play). Thus you want to be at their table.... just not posting a blind on the hands they're straddling!