View Single Post
Old 12-18-2005, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Best strategy against a bluffing maniac?

I wouldn't call this guy a bluffing maniac. In each hand he had a stronger starting hand than you did (33 does not play stronger than AT, but it's stronger at the moment). He raises without improving, which is often the correct play. Where he goes crazy is not stopping after one raise, as you say he doesn't understand that no one will five bet, then fold to the six (you sometimes hear stories about two experts doing this, the most famous involved Oswald Jacoby's father, but even the greatest experts will usually find it worth one bet to win 20 or more to see if their bluff is better than your bluff).

If there were no other players at the table taking advantage of this, the best strategy would be to wait for nuts. There's a finite amount you can win from this guy, there's no harm in taking it slowly and safely rather than trying to do it fast and maybe crashing. You usually take more doing it slowly, because you preserve his illusions longer.

On the other hand, with four other players to share the spoils with, you might want to get your share faster, which means taking a few more chances. I'd be careful here, the other players may not see things as clearly as you. Winning some big pots with marginal hands may encourage them to imitate you.

Without knowing the table, it's hard to say, but I think I would have been happy with fewer bets than you made on the three hands you mention. Even knowing that he raises on anything, I go maybe 2 or 3 bets on (1), don't raise at all on (2) and 4 or 5 on (3). But there's no theory behind it, just less willingness to gamble.

There are two other things to do. First is to take any possible chance of getting heads-up with this guy holding the nuts. I'd play a lot more starting hands, and stick around to draw to more hands. It's like you get the option of deciding whether it's limit or no-limit poker.

The other thing is to watch the effect on other players carefully. A wild player will often throw other players off their game, sometimes you can make more indirectly than directly. This guy will loosen up the table and destroy respect for raises. If they're all focused on taking his money, you can pick their pockets.