View Single Post
Old 12-23-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Do Online Players Going B&M Have a Lot of Tells?

[ QUOTE ]

Hi Scott,

I was thinking more along the lines of showing emotion when playing on-line such as exclaiming something out loud or drooping your head and shoulders or openly smiling etc.

Online those things don't matter, and it would seem like it's taking some of the fun out of playing if you tried to surpress your emotions while sitting in front of a computer. But I wondered if these kinds of habits can get ingrained to some degree and backfire on you when you go to a B&M? It doesn't sound like an issue for a beginner at the mini-stake tables.

I wonder if the guys who play for mid and high stakes though, make a disciplined effort to play online with their poker faces, so they don't inadvertantly let something slip when playing live because of bad habits that didn't matter when online.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. Never thought of it that way. I don't talk a lot to the monitor, throw crap around when I lose or get all excited when I'm ahead online...I just figure I'm getting paid to make good decisions. Haven't had a problem with tells at a B&M...at least that I know of. There is one tell I think I exhibit sometimes, and it is something I'm working on. I can usually differentiate between online and B&M, as far as how to act at the table. Maybe it is a good idea to practice your game face online.

You're right though...most of the guys at the LL B&M tables won't notice what you're doing because they're too busy watching the game or ordering drinks or whatever.

ScottieK