View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 02:57 AM

Default Re: Thoughts on the World Cup Draw

[ QUOTE ]
I dont disagree about Messi's talent but it's alot to ask of a 20 year old. Messi's best World Cups are probably still ahead of him.

Remember Maradona in '82 young extraordinary talent but boy was he given a hot welcome to the big time.

He went to Mexico 4 years later and single handedly one the cup on his own.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really think that Messi will show what he has in june. How he has played for Barca in the champions league and, now that he has an EU passport, in La Liga has been just amazing. I have always raved about Rooney, but IMO, Messi could be better. What I have seen of Messi just leaves me a gast, and the fact is, he may end up being the best Barca Striker since Cruyff or Kubala. In some ways I am surpised that he didn't end up playing for Spain since he has lived there for the last 7 years

[ QUOTE ]
Let me give all you Americans some insight.

Your World Cup fate rests heavily on one thing, which Italy show up to play you.

Italy are the most frustrating team in world football.

In '02 they started there campaign with an almost effortless 2 - 0 win over Ecuador, from there it just went off the rails.

At Euro '04 anyone who watched that tournament entire will know that Italy produced the best 45 minutes in the first half against Sweden of any team in any game throughout the tournament. But they didn't make it pasted the group stage.

They are a Jekyll and Hyde and we'll have to wait and see who you get

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree fully. In some ways the same goes for the Czechs. IMO, Italy has always been one of the most overrated squads in world football, and they have only won 1 WC post WWII, and that was due to them having some of the greates Italians either hanging on(Zoff) or at their peak(Berzot). THe fact is, the US has good defenders and a great goalkeeper, so if they are willing to play ugly and let Beasley feed Eddie Johnson, it is possible for us to draw or beat Italy. TO be honest, Luca Toni is the main Striker that I think that the US has to worry about, as I'm not sure if Lippi will give Gilardino enough PT to be as effective as he can be. Italy keeps on wanting to rely on Pippo, Vieri(who is past his prime), and Del Peiro for whatever reason

I have heard that Nedved might be playing, so that will change things. Nedved is the only player that I think the US can't handle(and I do watch a ton of European football, so I'm not some US apologist as I'm more of an England fan to be honest). No US player has come across someone like Nedved at all, and he can change a game in a split second with his vision. I really don't think that Baros and Koller are all that special. Look at Baros, Liverpool sold him to Aston Villa, and he hasn't been all that much for a mid-table squad in the prem, and Koller is just tall, he is very uncoordinated. I've been able to watch him in the Bundesliga here because of Fox Sports World/Soccer channel.

RRRRICK, I do hope though that Australia does well, I have Aussie blood in me as my dad was from melbourne. I normally support the wallabies when I'm watching Rugby