View Single Post
Old 09-15-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Thinking about Shania progression.

Hey Grisgra,

It's good to be thinking about shania. It sounds like you have at least a general grasp of what yours is at this point.

It can be dangerous to be oblivious to one's shania as well. Part of my losses when I first moved up to 10/20 was due to not understanding the effect my shania had on my opponents. I opened up to a 30/22, very aggressive game, stealing with almost anything from the button/SB, and pretty much playing raise or fold poker postflop with made hands. However, I didn't adjust my folding standards very well.

So, the fact that I was raising stuff like T7o/J4o on the button first in coupled with the fact that I had no qualms about raising a flop donkbet with middle pair made me look something of...well...a manaic. I would have people bet-3betting me on the turn with A-hi. Others would 4bet me on the flop with an underpair(55-66) on a board like J87.

I was completely oblivious to this, and continued to fold made hands as though my opponents were treating me as a sane player, which they weren't. My shania was working - I was generating excess action from all sorts of hands, but it got me pushed around because I didn't realize the affect it was truly having.

Now, that doesn't seem to be a style of play that suits me well, so I've tightened up a bit. I still get that image sometimes, mainly on loose re-steals, but I pay more attention to what I've been showing down and what my opponents think of me.

I haven't begun to alter my play significantly in response to my opponents' adjustments - mainly because I don't see them adjusting too much. Mainly it just involves tightening up on re-steals and flop c/r's for awhile until I've shown down some quality hands.

Surf