View Single Post
Old 08-18-2004, 02:03 AM

Default Re: Should have fired again? Or should have gotten out?

Lori,

[ QUOTE ]
If I am ditching to a reraise, then my cards become far less relevant IMHO

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really interesting to me. So blinds are 10/15, and its folded to you with 66 on the button with a 1k stack. You are going to be ditching to a substantial reraise, so just dont get involved? I would think this type of thinking would lead to extremely extremely tight play early and extremely extremely loose play late. I would say my game is polarized (tight early, aggro late), but if I followed this mantra my game would be even more polarized.

[ QUOTE ]
Folding this twice here and stealing once later with xxo amounts to the same number of chips, and with far less risk,

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a good point, but I don't understand why there is less risk? Wont you have to commit more of your stack--meaning there is more risk?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's outright bad play, but it doesn't play in a manner that I want to.
With this stack, I don't want to be in a position to fold preflop with some of my chips out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. If you could take the time to explain to me how this specific stack, vs. say a 2k stack or a 5k stack, would change your PF decision it would be great. I am raising 3xBB with any stack over 10xBB, and with 10xBB or less I'm all-in. What do you think of a line like that?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm perfectly happy to let the 5k guy control the game and take all the risks on my behalf. If he slips up then I can go on the attack, and if he KO's one or two, then I'm in the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

In general, having played lots and lots of sit and gos, the general trend is that the chips are spread apart. This is a combination of the type of players that accumulate large stacks in typical sngs (very crazy, aggressive players).

Of course, sometimes the big stack is a very solid player catching the right cards at the right times and making the right plays. But a general trend is that the chips seem to spread out--especially when the short stacks have more than 10xBB. Often they will be selective, play back at a big stacks opening raise, and leave the big stack with semi-decent odds to call an all in. Just this general course of action seems to lead to the stacks evening out.

Which is why I would never cite "if he KO's one or two, I'm in the money" as a reason not to be aggressive and to steal. I don't think passing on +EV plays, which raising with A8o in this spot is in my book, is good. And I definitely think that playing for the other big stack to knock out a few isn't good. I don't make assumptions like this, and I would like to maintain my stack or increase it steadily. Passing on this spot is too tight.

[ QUOTE ]
In a MTT, with many players still in, I would raise this, but not in a 50-30-20 payout structure SNG.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this depends where you are in a MTT, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for posting,
-Jason