View Single Post
Old 08-17-2004, 10:03 PM

Default Re: Should have fired again? Or should have gotten out?

I think your play here is OK, with this possible exception. I don't know what your read on the big stack is, but with the big stack calling the other big stack, I've got to put him on something decent (pair, high or mid A, KQs or similar). So, when you miss the flop and he checks, I've got to make the call right there to play this strongly or get out. You chose to bet 450 into a 600 pot (if I read this right). The problem is that the 450 bet isn't enough to knock him off a fair hand, and it doesn't really tell you what he has when he calls.

So, when he checks on the turn, I think you have to check back or face the possible loss of a big pot to the big stack. Same with the river. You're only out 700 chips, you are still second in chips, and you avoid messing with the one stack that can bust you.

If it's me, I go after the flop bigger or check. Overbet or bet the pot. Make this guy think you have an overpair. If he still calls it or raises back, he's likely got a hand, and you can fold more comfortably.

If I'm the big stack, and the second stack bets into me hard, my thought process usually tells me that he has something. Why risk that position against the big stack by betting right into him unless I've got a big hand?

Tough hand, but once I lose the steal, I'm probably not going to risk any more chips here...most of the time.

Play well,

CCC