View Single Post
Old 03-14-2005, 03:00 AM

Default Re: Cramming for the PPM

Hey MoDaddy,

You don't play at the Oaks (in Oakland, CA) a lot do you?

As to your question, I'm in about the same boat as you as I recently played my first few major tourneys. The thing I wish I'd known going in was the extreme amount of mental endurance required to keep focused for as long as these tourneys require. It's also a bit different than just playing a long cash game session because you have so much more riding on it, it tends to drain you physically and emotionally a lot more. Bring food, water, do breathing exercises during the breaks to bring the adrenaline down a bit, whatever it takes to keep your brain fueled and focused. Danny N. has said that his Mom's home cooked meals which he brings to tourney's is his "secret weapon." I don't think he was kidding.

As to preparation, I would say the best way is to cram in a bunch of limit tourneys and practice staying focused for long periods, maybe even stringing together several tourneys right in a row. However, just like you would in physical sports, you need to take it really easy a few days before the tourney.

Also, picking one poker book that you think has helped your game the most and reviewing it before the tourney couldn't hurt.