View Single Post
Old 03-13-2005, 10:35 PM

Default Re: Cramming for the PPM

[ QUOTE ]
My basic gameplan is to take advantage of the ultraflat structure (pays down ~ 25% of the field) by playing extremely tight to get in the money, and then let loose to try to make the high money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind that this is going to be the strategy of many of the people in this field (admittedly, I'm just guessing at this, but others will probably correct me here if I'm wrong). Poker is definitely a game where a contrarian approach has benefits. If everybody else is playing tight, you can open up and steal from them, while if they're playing loose, you have to tighten down, play big starting hands, and value bet without ever bluffing. However, no matter what most of the field is doing at any one time, you only care what the 8 or 9 people at your table are doing, so you're going to need to monitor them all closely.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm also trying to think about how to best use my likely image (geeky tight online player) to my advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure your image, if you're known to be a mostly online player, is going to be tight. Most people I know consider online players to be loose and hyperaggressive compared to brick and mortar players. Again, it doesn't matter what most of the field thinks, only what the opponents at your table think. It's again important for you to monitor their view of your image, and play accordingly to take advantage of it.

Have fun.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)