View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 11:43 PM

Default Can I Use Online Poker to Fund My World Travels? (Long)

My Dear Fellow Poker-Dominating Community...

I just graduated from college and I'm a naive, quixotic, ADHD-ish, 22-year-old. I'm hungry for an adventure, not to mention a way to put my American-ness into perspective (a.k.a. worldliness).

I've been toying with this idea for a while, as I think it could make for a fun, memorable trip. I will make my way around the world, funding my transportation and expenses by playing online poker for a few hours each day. To spice things up, I might vary my living conditions based on my day-to-day successes and failures (e.g. nice hotel after awesome sesh, cheap youth hostel after bad day, or vice versa, as long as it averages out). I will buy my return ticket to America ahead of time, and I will make sure to bankroll myself outside the reach of reasonable variance. If bad luck or bad playing catches up to me and my bankroll falls below a predetermined amount, I will come home early, ashamed but glad I tried. Maximum predicted trip length: a few months.

Really, I just feel like I have one life, and this seems like a logical time to try something silly like this (e.g. I have no career-path job, no dependents, no commitments or attachments, etc. Well, I have a girlfriend, but she's stuck doing a fellowship until May, anyway, so we're already doing long-distance).

This thread may belong in Internet Gamboolin', but I wanted to first post it in SSNL because you guys have been my 2+2 family for the last while. Any feedback, ideas, encouragement, questions, flaming, warnings, advice, wisdom, quotes, etc would be hugely appreciated.

Here're some quick issues I've been thinking about:
-account security (i'd almost certainly need to use my own laptop)
-availability of wireless internet in different countries
-approximating cost of travel and expenses
-necessary sustainable winrate and bankroll
-travelling lightly, hygiene
-how best to utilize the global-ness of the 2+2 community

Thanks in advance, guys.

J Chaaaaap

"A bit of nonsense, now and then, is relished by the wisest men." -Willy Wonka