View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Experiences with Fasting

People fast for a lot of reasons, before there was a thread on here about fasting for reasons of health and John Cole made some interesting and controversial posts about the benefits of fasting along those lines, "cleansing" the body. Fasting is also encouraged by relgions though for a variety of reasons, clearing the mind, repetence and celebration, a way of enjoying eating, sense of history, to produce a trancelike state, are just some reasons listed by book "Hunger" the religions Buddhists, Hindus, Jews, Morons, Christians, Muslims and Taoists and fast on some days.

I have only fasted involuntarily when hiking and did not pack enough food. All I was thinking about then was food, imaginging every kind of my favorite food and how great it would taste if I was eating it right then. It didn't feel like my mind was really clear. The meals after not eating for a while tasted much better and for that reason I like to go a little longer then I naturally would sometimes, before eating.

Since all religions have fasts, there are probably a lot of people who have done it. Could some of you share your experiences with fasting please.