View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 09:14 PM

Default Automating Session Reviews

Abstract: I am presenting an automated, web-based method for organizing and executing session reviews. (There, I don't want to see any tl;dr's now.)

(Mods: This is software-related, but given the audience, I think this forum may be better for getting ideas and working out specs. No other related threads will be created in this forum (by me).)

I really enjoyed the session review we had last week and had a thought that the whole process of organizing the sesion review could be automated. Not only that, but one could submit a session at any time to get reviewed even if there were no group reviews being organized. I've already coded up a bit of it, so the idea is very workable. Here's how I see it working:

Submitting a session:
You create a (free) account on the web site. Once logged in, you can upload a hand history file. You can make your session either public or private. If public, anyone can see and choose to review it; if private, you will receive a session ID which will be required by anyone wishing to review your session. You will be able to see the status of your session at any time, including who is reviewing your session and how far along they are in the review. You can "review a review" and go through and see and respond to comments left by reviewers at any time.

Reviewing a session:
If someone wants you to review their play, they will give you a session ID, which you can use to access the session on the web site. You may also browse sessions that people have made public, sorting by site, limit, and number of hands. When the review process is initiated, you'll see one hand at a time with the option to make comments. You can skip throught the hands as you'd like, but you'll only get credit for a completed review if every hand either has a comment or "No comment" applied.

Features/Notes:
* Hands could/will be prettied up a la hand converter.
* You can review your own session, so you can use this solo if only to make the hands pretty.
* Statistics will be kept on how many sessions you've submitted, how many reviews you've performed, etc.
* There may be a submission/review ratio restriction implemented to keep people from taking without giving, though that's pretty easy to work around.

Privacy Concerns:
* All submitted sessions would have a 2 week lifespan before they're purged from the server (too strict?).
* You would have the option to make your session publicly browsable. If private, a reviewer could only access your session through a unique session id provided by the session owner.
* Hand history numbers would be mangled.
* Hero's identity can be changed to whatever he likes.
* All opponents' identities can (will?) be changed in such a way that you can follow the action from hand to hand.

I'd like this to be as simple as possible while being as effective and usable as possible. So, what do you think?