View Single Post
Old 09-12-2005, 10:28 AM

Default Re: Going to try playing live 1/2 for a living....

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks but I already have a BA in History and am a New York State certified Social Studies teacher.

As long as I make myself a legitimate poker player and not one who just gets by through skinning the fish, I don't think I have anything to worry about long term. I'm sure poker is here to stay at least through my lifetime, even if its popularity wanes.

[/ QUOTE ]

If and when the influx of new players declines, the games will toughen up, especially the NL games.

If you have a possibility of working a decent job with health insurance and still have time to play part time (and during the summer if you are a teacher) I'd advise going that way. The best part time players are just as tough or tougher than full time players and are respected within the poker community. If and when poker becomes less profitable they have a lifeline.

People like myself are potstuck now that we've been out of the normal workforce for years (e.g., I entered poker when the defense department related aerospace industry dried up). You aren't potstuck yet.

I've been posting on this forum for about nine years and for personal reasons I've always avoided the "should I play for a living threads and how much BR do I need threads". This time I let my guard down but in all seriousness I hope you don't make this choice.

Regards,

Rick