View Single Post
Old 09-12-2005, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Reposting since noone will probably read my post in middle

I'm not sure why I'm going to bother defending myself, but I will just for ego's sake I guess....

First off the KJ hand. I don't know if you play any live poker at all, but its a lot different than internet poker. If you're a nit in a live game and just wait to hit sets, or preflop wait for AK, or big pairs, you won't make much money. If I sit there for an hour and fold, or maybe limp into two or three hands, and then I wake up with pocket Aces and want to raise it up, most likely the whole table will fold. (You're also missing out on a lot of +ev by folding hands like KQ or AQ, when so many players are willing to call of their stack with top pair no kicker.) Online this doesn't happen so much because there isn't the continuity of a live game. Based on my knowledge of the game, his most likely pushing hand was Ax or a small pocket pair. The only thing I was afraid of really was a hand like KQ, where I could be dominated. But more likely it was a coinflip or a 60/40 hand with enough dead money in the pot to justify the call as long as I was pretty sure the other deepstacked player wouldn't come in or reraise me.

As far as my general advice goes, I've been successfully playing online for a living since last November. It hasn't always been smoothsailing, but I've never been broke, and I've slowly built my bankroll while keeping up with my bills and other obligations. Granted, my game still has a lot of areas where it can use work, but at least in the low stakes forum, I feel fairly well qualified to give advice and suggestions.

I initially brought up your post on the trips hand to another player not to insult you, but to give him perspective on your advice, which based on the posts I've read, is fairly weak tight, even for online play.

However, the insult I added on the last post was silly and childish and for that I apologize.

Good luck at the tables,

David