View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Another my take on God post . . .

Atheists want to disprove Christianity to Christians. There is no question about it.

And there is a good reason why.

Christianity (I am referring to NotReady's fundamentalism here, you seem cool [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) encourages thinking that is circular, accepting, unquestioning, submissive, and obedient. NotReady, in a recent response to KipBond, said the following:

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have a friend who swears that foosball is of the devil. He thinks this because his mom told him that God said it is. He believes his mom whole-heartedly, and thinks that she could not be wrong. I try to reason with him and explain that foosball is just a game, and that many Christians and other religious folks play foosball and it doesn't seem to be bad at all. He just keeps saying that "foosball is of the devil" and that people who play it are under satan's control. His mom can't be wrong, he says, because she's never been wrong before, and he trusts her 100%.

What would you say to my friend? Do you think he is being rational? Why or why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

It makes a difference whether or not he is under his parents' authority. If he is, he shouldn't play the game in obedience to them. That doesn't mean they are higher than God but that the Bible says children should obey their parents. If they tell him to do something that contradicts God's Word then I believe he doesn't have to obey, otherwise he should.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this not only stupid, but TERRIFYING. Mark 12:17 teaches us to "Give to Caesar what is his," suggesting that we should obey the governing body. With this kind of thinking, it becomes correct to support whatever a ruling body instructs without question. (Look at the War on Terror and the War on Drugs supporters!) And there are TONS of them.

This is how Big Brother comes to exist.

Their dogmatic stupidity writes the checks that fuel wars, halts scientific progress, and imposes unnecessary social regulations. They refuse to see other sides, or acknowledge that they might be wrong about something. Faith is a virtue, and that which is not from faith is sin...which is well and good, only if what you have faith in is correct, and they do not bother to make that step.