View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 08:21 AM

Default Re: an aspiring stockbroker

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to hijack but I'm in a similar position but a few years later down. I started as a nuclear engineer and am now switching to econ with a math based option to use all the math Ive taken.

Two questions I guess
My grades were not good in eng. If I do a ton better in econ from here on out and do steller on the GMAT(35 on ACT, I can do very well on pointless standarized tests to hopefully make up for the GPA) is it possible to still get into a top Business school.

Is going to a top business school where I should go from here to be a trader/investor, someone that works with the #s?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know anything about investment banking, so that I can't answer. I know a lot of people who are derivatives traders. None of them went to business school. Only a small portion majored in finance or econ. I don't think grades are particularly important, although that could be different if you are graduating from a school without an amazing reputation. I also destroyed the ACTs (36/36/36/35) but never did me a bit of good at any point in my life.
If you are smart and good with numbers, I think an advanced degree in Mathematical Finance or Financial Engineering much better than going to business school.