View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Re: HOWARD STERN, The FCC, and INDECENCY ???

[ QUOTE ]
Well now you monkey-wrenched it. I am a huge Stern fan, however I am fairly conservative and think the FCC plays an important role in America. They may be stretching their limits, but Stern is doing his job by pushing his. I just hope they leave satellite alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiosity, what important role does the FCC play? They were never elected, nor are they subject to any amount of public scrutiny. They enforce regulations that are not laws, and are instrumental in the modern erosion of the First Amendment.

If the public airwaves are really public, why do private companies run them? CBS, NBC, and ABC are not owned by the government(in some countries, this is very much not the case). If people are so offended by what is on television, they would stop watching, pure and simple. Any private company must appeal to its client base, or it goes bankrupt.

Yet, many people would rather not think for themselves, and such a vacuum in thought is what allows the FCC exists. This nebulous, quasi-governmental agency manages to reek not only of Religious right fundamental zealotism, but also radical left politically correct histrionics. It is an offensive entity designed to conform American viewing standards to an undefinable standard of decency, constant only in its inconsistency.