View Single Post
Old 08-01-2005, 10:27 AM

Default Re: 500+50 tourney report (LOTS of poker content and I need help!)

[ QUOTE ]
This is the toughest competition I've ever faced... The main event was packed with excellent players.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I open raise to 1500, the button calls... button checks and turns over J10 offsuit.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Finally he says, "I just can't lay this hand down.", and calls with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] WTF?!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wanted to get that out of the way.

On to my content, seems like these guys covered almost everything, especially that you're raising way too big preflop. If you're attempting to steal the blinds, the goal is to risk the minimum amount of chips required to accomplish this stack. I typically raise very large(4-5BBs) in early rounds in attempt to isolate my opponents. Once the blinds become very large and players begin stealing blinds and you stop seeing many flops, this is when you want to try and raise as little as possible to accomplish the task. Position is also much more important here as you will find in several tournaments that AQ-AK or any PP AA-88 will reraise you all-in and attempt to resteal. It is because of this that I think you should fold the following hand preflop:

[ QUOTE ]
Level 4, blinds 1K/2K. I get A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] UTG and go all-in. UTG+1 and UTG+2 are both short-stacked. UTG+1 hims and haws, and stares me down. By now I'm thinking he's got middle pair. He finally calls, and UTG+2 insta calls. Uh-oh! The rest fold and I'm up against KK (UTG+1) and AA. The board is no help (duh) and UTG+2 triples up and criples me. Chip count 11K.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I'm curious, does anyone consider a limp here? Obviously this particular hand you weren't going to see a flop for cheap, but is this a profitable play in other situations?

Just my thoughts,
-Ace