View Single Post
Old 07-31-2005, 08:48 PM

Default Re: 500+50 tourney report (LOTS of poker content and I need help!)

At 100/200 level why are you raising with AK 7.5BBs? I think that is way too much with this kind of hand up front. Especially, given the fact you will oftentimes be a significant dog when you miss the flop.

WIth the KK hand why go all in after a 8.5BB reraise to 12.5BB from someone with position on you, and even still one more player to act? I think that this play is shaky at best.

Lvl 3 KK hand: You cannot check this flop given there are 2 flush cards there. You are giving him a free chance to make you cry. You have got to bet at minimum 1/2 pot to 2/3 pot to at least give him improper odds if he chooses to pursue a flush.

Lvl 4 AQ offsuit: AQo UTG is a good hand, but it is not hand that you should be raising all-in with your entire table to act behind you. I would at most bet 3BB, and more often I would limp with AQo UTG. You left yourself zero ways to get out of this hand if you needed to and as a result you lost a ton of chips when you didn't need to.

If you limped with AQo and one of the short stacks went all in, and then another player goes all-in, it should give you pause to think that you are dominated and way behind. You would then have to assess the pot odds to see if it is even remotely feasible to call. Considering you lost 27K in chips I question your definition of short stack.

A short stack is not the smallest chip stack at the table. It is when someone is down to say 12BB or thereabouts. Having someone be able to put in 27k did not make them a short stack by any stretch of the imagination.

Your last hand was played when you had about 12BBs. You could have limped with this hand and seen what the flop was, and you even could have bet 3BBs and you would have known something was up when the BB calls you, and then you would have to play it by ear on the flop.

I think that you risk far more chips than are necessary to accomplish what you want to do. You either don't give people an opportunity to make a mistake by calling, or you risk more than you have to.

When you go all in you remove all furthe decision making by yourself and others if they call you. Whereas you could have then made a bet on a scary board and gotten someone to fold or you yourself could get away from a hand.