View Single Post
Old 08-15-2005, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Upping my preflop raise %

It is tougher to have a high PFR% in a game like .50/1 because you will so rarely be presented with a true blind steal situation. In other words, since so many of your opponents are limping ahead of you with various suited crap & ace/rag combos, you are going to be presented with far fewer opportunities to openraise from the CO or Button with mediocre hands like your KTo, A7s, and similar holdings. The solution is not to force situations where you're raising preflop, but rather to keep playing smart poker based on the table conditions.

As you get up to higher limits, you'll find that your PFR% will largely take care of itself as you are increasingly forced to play on relatively tight tables. For example, I average just over 10% on 2/4 & 3/6 full, and I will very rarely raise in a lot of the situations you mentioned; but because it's folded to me in LP far more often, I'm able to openraise with an even wider range of hands than what you listed. My PFR% in 6max games is over 16%.

You should never try to change your game just to make your statistics line up with the accepted norm. It's vitally important to understand not only what you are trying to accomplish but why--raising more often will not help your win rate nearly as much as raising in more of the right situations will, and it's very likely that you just aren't being presented with enough of those situations in the .50/1 game.