View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 12:19 PM

Default It must be \'Two Overpairs\' Time

There was a lot of discussion about this section of SSH in the Microlimit forum a few months ago. It was rather amusing to see so many 'wait until the turn' threads on the front page. Aaron W. posted a compendium of sorts, which can be found here.

As the Two Overpairs section of SSH was something that I felt I failed to adequately grasp, I studied all of the threads Aaron W. linked to.

Today I found myself in a position where I had the opportunity to (probably) completely misapply this concept. Let me know if I'm still missing something here (i.e. the pot is not big enough for this concept to apply).

Reads:
BB's play is very easy to read. He raises when he has a big hand PF, otherwise he limps. He ALWAYS bets out if he has TP on the flop, and I have never seen him bet out with a draw.
Button is a CS.

My raise on the turn is for value. My thinking was that BB has TP, and I think he has 5 or 6 outs (5 if he's drawing to two pair, 6 if he just picked up an OESD (since I have two nines)). I do not feel the argument of 'he led the turn again, so now you're behind a bigger overpair...' is valid. That does not fit my read of this player. He would have raised PF with most hands that I would be behind (TT+). Button appears to have not yet hit his flush draw, but he could have overcards. I think Button would raise if he just caught his straight, so when he just calls again, I think I'm ahead, and my equity has just skyrocketed.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, Button calls.

River: (10 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, Button folds.

Final Pot: 12 BB