Thread: River Decision
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2005, 06:08 AM

Default Re: River Decision

Its not necessarily default, but I often am able to snap off bluffs from draws on the river when I check mediocre hands on the turn, some similar examples:

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Button ($515)
SB ($415.7)
Hero ($1777.14)
UTG ($618.25)
MP ($1980.32)
CO ($385)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $6, CO calls $6, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($24) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, MP folds, CO calls $15, SB folds.

Turn: ($54) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

River: ($54) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $52</font>, Hero calls $52.

Final Pot: $158

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 3c Qh (one pair, queens).
CO has 2s Js (high card, king).
Outcome: Hero wins $158. </font>

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Button ($838)
SB ($296.64)
Hero ($831.9)
UTG ($519)
MP ($1845.52)
CO ($128.4)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $12</font>, SB (poster) calls $9, Hero calls $6.

Flop: ($36) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $34.2</font>, SB folds, Hero calls $34.20.

Turn: ($104.40) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: ($104.40) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $102.4</font>, Hero calls $102.40.

Final Pot: $309.20

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 9s Qs (two pair, jacks and nines).
Button has Ts Ad (one pair, jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins $309.20. </font>

(player in hand 2 didnt like to fold, I felt like I likely had 7+ outs on the flop and I could extract A LOT if I hit straight.)

Anyways, in the original hand I checked the turn cuz I didn't want to get checkraised and have to fold a hand with likely a lot of outs. However I was planning on calling a river bet if the river was below a 10, as my line looked very weak and bluffable. I didn't feel like his line was an A at all, at the time I just put him on missed diamonds and was fairly sure.

I did call and he had Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and MHIG.

However, I did not post it here cuz I thought I made a great play. I posted it because I was ridiculed in the chat afterwards, and looking back on the hand it seemed to be my most controversial play of the nite. (well other than the other hand I posted which I KNEW was played badly even as I played it. grrrrrrr.)

With you two both saying that my river call was -EV, then it probably was, I guess I just got lucky here.

Thanks for the criticism, I have been running extremely hot recently, but I know my game needs a lot of improvement.