View Single Post
Old 10-10-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Lame AQ question

[ QUOTE ]
You can't vote here. It completely depends on what MP1's PFR standards are and how good he is post flop. If he is something like 35/12/2 with 50% WTSD then I three bet like it's my job. If he is 20/3/2 than I'm folding like the plauge.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point of the post is to figure out some sort of "default" course when playing against a complete unknown.

Against someone on whom you have reliable stats this decision is usually quite straightforward.

But what about an unknown? What about a player who is aggressive post-flop but raises 6% pre-flop? 7%? 8%?

I certainly think by the time we get to 9% you should be three-betting automatically; 5% seems like you're going to be behind villain's range probably. I think the cutoff is something like 6-8%.

Against an unknown I actually imagine that this decision is not that crucial, and you can sort of do what you want and mix it up. One important thing to think about is that the sheer fact that they are raising here makes it more likely that they have loose raising standards rather than super-tight ones. So I voted raise against an unknown, but I hardly think it matters in the long-run if you are good about collecting stats and are usually making this decision with more information.

And the most important thing, of course, is how you are playing post-flop with AQ. If you are losing with it, it is because you are misplaying it post-flop, and not primarily because you are sometimes making thin pre-flop positions that get you in tough spots. Post an AQ hand for us to discuss.