View Single Post
Old 07-26-2004, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Tough 1st Level Hand

Usually it’s you giving me advice, so take this for what its worth:

1. The preflop raise was too small. I think you want 1-2 callers. You offered the next caller better than 2:1 on a hand he already likes enough to call with. I raise to 100-125 here. If they put you on a big pair that you are willing to go to the mat with, then you are giving them implied odds that are too good with any lower pair.

2. Pushing preflop with KK is insanity and gives up way too much EV. You WANT a caller.

3. I like the flop raise to make the singleton diamond pay to draw. I might raise more, as the A or Q of diamonds is likely to call you anyway, and the Ace of diamonds which you fear most has 10 outs twice to beat you so is correct to call your bet with implied odds.

4. I am very leery of your turn call. People will play any ace, and once the 4th diamond hits you have to strongly suspect the A is out, or else what would he just call the flop and then bet the turn on? He’d have to be pretty bad to do this with 9 high, so you’re putting him on KxQd or QdJx specifically, instead of AdXx, where X could legitimately be K-7 in these early stages with bad players.

5. Sadly, I probably make a crying call as well here with an ugly feeling in my stomach. Bad luck, my friend, that he hit a 10-outer on the turn

--Greg