View Single Post
Old 08-04-2003, 07:55 PM

Default Re: 10-20 BB turn check-raise to get heads-up

hi dynasty
the turn should read 8h. all i really remember is that its color contrasted on the club board, and the color of my 8 also contrasted. i had a red 8 and the turn produced another surprisingly red 8. whatever it was, it sure wasn't the 8s. i just want everyone to know that the dang 8 color clashed; it was beatnik.

crazy 8.

did someone ask if i thought i might have the lead at that point? yes; i thought i might have.

you'll have to remember that these are two very solid opponents, and the UTG is very capable of going for a pre-flop limp reraise, but would never raise-in from UTG with JJ or less, so in this case, 99 can be an over-pair.

the main problem with this hand are the two excellent opponents. clearly, a card that doesn't help me may come off on the river. any J thru 9 that may give the UTG his boat, will almost certainly be checked by him. if i only call on the turn, the button will read that as a non-flush hand and put me on trips, and that brings up another factor. my turn call is screaming trips. both of my opponents know exactly what i have, and they both know that i have a good idea about what they have. so, if the UTG fills on the river, he will check knowing for a fact that the button will bet and i'll call. and yes, i do think that the safest course of action is to call on the turn and get the safe over-call from the UTG if the hand ended on that round. but with another round to go, i don't like the prospect of the UTG betting out on the river.

with just an over-pair, on the river the UTG may bet out anyway when the fourth flush card fails to materialize. why? well, this is a very good player. he may also fear getting trapped on the river between two raisers. a sudden reversal by the UTG as a value bet/ raise stopper, is very possible. these are solid/ aggressives who think a lot. if they were ma and pa kettle, i wouldn't be so river wary.

my thinking is that i have the likely leader, but i'm not a heavy favorite. my holding wants to take down the pot without all the thrills. i'll take the pot anyway i can get it. i'm not really concerned about the safety of getting the over-call from the UTG. i want the UTG out, and if the button will fold when i raise that's fine with me. i want this thing over now, on the turn. and i don't want to be you know whatcked with on the river. i want my call on my river to be final. i also do not want my opponents to have such a good read on my holding. if it pleases the kind sirs, i want to be checked to on my river. and i'm buying the river right now on the turn. i raise. before my opponents make another move, they must first seek my approval. i raise.

my river; As. bet, call; end of story.