View Single Post
Old 08-04-2003, 03:51 AM

Default 10-20 BB turn check-raise to get heads-up

this hand occurred the other night in a good loose 10-20.
most of the opponents were average to solid, with no one getting too far out of line. the button and UTG were both good with the button being good/solid.

the UTG limps, it's folded to the button who calls, and i knuckle from the BB with Ac8d.

the flop comes 864 all clubs. i check, the UTG checks, and the button bets. call, call.

turn; 8d. i check, UTG checks, and the button bets. here's the thing. i strongly suspect that the button has a flush already. i glance left and the UTG with overs or an over pair is ready to call. can he have a medium flush? yes. but i have trips and the nut flush draw. do i want the over-call by the UTG? i stopped momentarily to consider the situation, and i raised to raise out the UTG. i figured that whatever happens, i'll be calling on the river and i wanted my call to close the action. if a high card hit completing the flush, i didn't want to be trapped between two raisers. the UTG could check-raise, etc. i just wanted to be able to call on the river and have that call close the action. but was i correct to risk getting reraised by check-raising the turn to drive out the UTG who did fold? should i have kept him in and gotten his certain over-call? i felt that if the button had a flush that a reraise was highly unlikely, but he may have had a full-house at that point. was my turn check-raise correct for the reason i check-raised? how would you have played it any differently?