View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 03:42 AM

Default Request for informal small-claims legal advice (long)

Hello,

About 6 months ago I did some web design work for a small company in NYC (I'm in Chicago), total about $350. I'd done one major and a few minor jobs before, and always been paid, very professional. Well, this one didn't get paid for awhile...just as I was gonna call them up, they called me and said, "Sorry about that, we'll send it out now." After several weeks I still hadn't received it.

Now, all of a sudden, I can't reach them at any of like 4 numbers or by e-mail. For weeks. Still haven't. I'm sick of this BS. There is no ambiguity, it is 100% clear that he owes me $$$. I have much documentation but only via e-mail. Even worse, he's a laywer. Crap.

But, I want to either get my $$ or make his life as miserable as possible. So I'll file suit in small-claims, see what happens. My questions:

1) What are my chances of winning?
2) What are my chances of collecting if I win? How expensive is that?
3) What are the chances that an official suit would make him shrug and pay up?
4) Why would they call and remind me about the debt, then welch?
5) Why won't he take my calls? At all? This is not a scared broke kid but a laywer/business pro. Is there some legal reason he won't talk to me?
6) What are the chances that they are dead or coma'd or something?
7) What are other, legal ways I can make myself annoying as [censored]? Debt collectors, but he'll know to just tell them to stop calling, and besides I can't find a cheap one.

More details upon request.