View Single Post
Old 09-30-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Weird HPFAP blind defense strategy inconsistencies

[ QUOTE ]
nice work summarizing this stuff nigel - it's insanely important I think, and poorly understood - one of the last "frontiers" of theory that seems to be missing a lot.

There are two ways to approach this problem, I think one is to find a general guideline, which HPFAP has done somewhat (I think the advice is actually pretty good overall, and hits on the major points, but is definitely inconsistent). The second way to to isolate specific ranges and determine what ranges to play versus "that".

This stuff is so difficult because even if I gave you a relatively specific range for some players (and with large databases we can approach that), it is still debateable what the correct play is even for pre-flop, forget about post-flop.

Let's say a typical SH player open raises 50% from the SB, what should your calling, folding and 3 betting ranges be in the BB?

How about if you are in the SB and know that the BB defends with the "optimal" 70% of the time, what should your folding/limping/raises standards be?

further, to what extent should blind structure change the ranges?

someone really really good could come close to filling a book worth of material on this stuff, anyone who could without getting lost or contradicting themselves is a genius.

questions answered with more questions. sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post.

I have actually been in the process for the last month of trying do just this. I didn't intend to write a book, but I have so much Excel data spreads and word documents I might.

It is very complex, and one of the most difficult parts is coming to a conlusion about how post flop works in isolation with ev of one hand vs a range. I have read some good post from Peter_rus, and even wrote some queries myself to get an idea of positional advantage modifers, and this is actually working out well.

It is really computational and time consuming, but I think I will be able to draw some good conclusions soon.

This actually makes preflop more clear cut from every position, including the blinds.

The bad part is, as I start adjusting for more players per pot and just the overall more complex situations, the math becomes even more tedious.

If anyone wants to join in and help, let me know.

-blake