View Single Post
Old 03-16-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Should I buy into a Main event?

i have considered this same scenario recently.

And i went to 2 separate big tourney events over last 6 months...1 at fox woods, and 1 at tunica.

In both cases i obvioulsy wanted to play the main events, but just couldnt bring myself to pay the full buyin.

Instead, i played the sattelites that were running there. many of them just $150 to 250 sattelites. And for the most part i did evry well in those and could hold my own.

However, once i won a couple of Act II sattelites at foxwoods, which qualifies you for a $1000 buyin Act III, where 1 big event buyin came in for every 10 participants, the story changed.

In this tourney i very quickly realized that the calibre of opposition increased dramatically. In fact, many of the pros
play in those $1000 sattelites, and many fringe players you never heard of or seen but are nonetheless very good players.

I became a bit more timid and weak tight. whever i got some playable pockets, i rarely got a chance to play them cuz someone else would routijnely come in for triple or quadruple the blinds and i'd have to fold.

Whenever i was on blind, someone would always raise them..IE almost no free looks at flop, only to see my dream flop hit with all kinds of action.

And post flop play became much more intimidating too.

I did learn alot tho, but i am very happy i did not invest into a full buyin for that lesson...those sattelites and bigger buy in sattelits

Here's an example:

I'm in BB with AJs, UTG makes it triple the bet.

All fold to me and i call.

Flop AT6 rainbow.

I think he may have AK, but i fire a bet at pot equal to 2 big blinds to see how he reacts.

He comes over the top of me for 1/3 of my stack...i think but have to fold...not many hands i can beat with him basically saying he's got my ace beat.

I talk to him next day and he tells me he had pocket 4's that hand. He said he took control of betting, and when i bet into flop he knew i had ace, but because i didnt bet strong enough he knew he could force me into fold by coming over top even though he was clearly dominated.

When people start stealing pots off you based on these superior reading and guts to pull that off, you're at a huge disadvantage. Thats what separates the contenders from pretenders.

And until u master that its better to get your practice at something less than full 10000 entry fees.