View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Bush finally addresses Sheehan.

Reardon,
Thank you for such a challenging reply. I want to take it point by point.

1. I could have substituted Communism, Fascism, etc here to the same effect. I don't think DVaut could convert to Islam because I honestly don't think he is capable of believing in anything and I point that out not as an attack, but to illustrate the natural end of his liberal philosophy. It's hard to defend your freedom if you never believed you had it to begin with.

2. The ideaology of Islamofascism at this point in history is the aggressor. In previous history it has been Communism, Imperialism (Anglo or Sino), Fascism, etc.

3. The play ball analogy was in no way meant to suggest such a link as you put forward. The Invasion of Iraq was a continuation of the Gulf War I, in my view, and the links between Saddam and Islamofascism (they do exist, but it is politically expediate for some not to admit it) were used as pretext. I agree with you that the war was Pre-emptive in nature. I happen to like proactive military and foriegn policy as opposed to reactive ones. But that could be it's own discussion.

4. Agree that this "memo" is likely a fake. Bush might like to say these things or his supporters on the right may like him to, but he is far too shrewd a politician to do so. In fact, he has replied, basically stating he will undertake no policy that will weaken the position of the United States. Why did he put it that way? I feel strongly it is because that Sheehan and those that support her (DVaut1 I think, even though he hasn't openly stated so) advocate ideas that will do just that.

5. I have to disagree here. Osama Bin Laden is a rich man. He has everything to loose by pursuing his Jihad ideals. This is purely about religion. I don't think Islamists hate us necessarily for our freedom, but rather what freedom has given us; materialy, socially, and especially religiously.

As for trolling and ranting, well, that's part of the fun for me. This is an internet chat room after all and no one, no matter how well read, well sourced, how much time they put into posting, how smart they try to make themselves appear, is really going to have an impact on the world. Let's be honest. No one is going to convert anyone else to their ideaology, party, what have you. If people change, it comes from the within because they are ready. If you win an arguement, at best you are going to make the other party mad at you and not really persuade them to your side anyway. That's human nature. No one will ever be able to "destroy" Dvaut1, regardless of their tactics. He will come back to argue his enlighted views another day.

This arguement has no substance anyway because it is about a memo that "may be from GWB, maybe not." I have enjoyed replying to you. I look forward to discussions with you in future.

X