View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Bush finally addresses Sheehan.

[ QUOTE ]
4- "You have me convinced patriotism is plainly for the stupid" I dont think that was his intent nor do I really think he accomplished that for anyone. I do however think he intended to point out that A: This "memo" is extremely highly likely to be a fraud totally unrelated to actual Administration policy and that B: I agree it's a fairly poor read... not only will the Administration likely dance around this woman (since its a real no win situation for them) but if they did make a statement it would be far less confrontational ["Lets attack a war mother"] and make far fewer sweeping generalizations as attempting to wrap the issue in patriotism carries the risk of backlash. As for the Patriotism comment... you're making a sound play calling someone who disagrees with you un-American or anti-patriotic after all rational dissent is never an option.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention the backlash that such an overty-nationalist 'letter' would create; does anyone really suspect anyone in the Bush administration would call the land outside his Crawford ranch "holy ground"? Does anyone consider the "bittersweet glory of death with purpose" line plausible? This is just scratching the surface of the ludicrous things that are in this letter, that would never (repeat NEVER) make it into a Presidential speech.

But certainly, the most head-scratching aspect of it for me is the "I'm not sure where this is from, maybe from GWB, maybe not. It sounds like it could very well be from him (if he had better speech writers)."

WTF is he talking about?