View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Re: blatant disregard (disrespect?) for money

[ QUOTE ]

Like: "Cingular is screwing me over and is going to charge me a $150 cancellation fee. I've already been down there 3 times and called them 3 times...so really if I spend over 2 hours on this (which I already have), it's a waste of my time. (so I'm letting it go)".

But then again, if I had those 3 hours back, would I have used them to play poker? Or was that coming out of regular work time ($20 an hour?).

The old me would be enraged about the $150. Now....meh.

I can't say I like where I'm headed psychologically with regards to this...what happens if in a few years I'm making $200 an hour? (and there are lots of you out there who could answer this). What IS worth your time anymore? If it takes you 30 minutes extra to find the cheapest flight, you better have saved over $100 from what you orignally found.

(Thankfully I've made peace with the conflict of "spending time with others" versus "I could have made $200 playing poker instead of watching that shitty movie". I'm always taking the social route when available. However, when I have to entertain myself, poker wins out over just about everything else...)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't spend time on things that save me money but I hate doing and the money saved is significantly less than my winrate. Now, when it comes to something like buying a laptop, I don't mind spending a few hours doing some research to find a deal that saves me $100. This is because I'm semi-interested in computing and the info I learn can be useful later on.

Now, calling AOL and cancelling that [censored] $30/month plan I haven't used in over a year is something I have avoided for a long time. The last time I called they kept me on the phone for half an hour and it took me a few hours to calm down about the money grubbing bastards. I keep trying to convince myself I might need it if I ever enter a big tournament and my DSL goes down. I think I'm in denial.