View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 04:33 AM

Default Re: How do you play fifth here?

[ QUOTE ]
I find I waste a lot of $$ attempting to "get it heads up", because i do it at the wrong times, but this certainly seems like a really good spot for it. I wish you posted fifth street in 2 parts so my thoughts would be unadulterated. I think the raise to "get it heads up" is overused in small stakes game. I wouldn't fault you for trying it here, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work out. One thing I'm not sure about , is if your opponent in seat 8 has a smaller pair, is if you're more than 1/3 to win, assuming the other guy has jacks up. So, raising here might be a freeroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the guy with the Ace probably has a smaller pair in the hole, you actually want him out because, even though his ace is dead, it still gives him too many ways (4) to outdraw your potential Ks up that you are going to need to win this pot. If he had a smaller kicker than your pair (< Ks) then you would actually want to just call to keep him in because in that situation his call makes you money (you have greater than 1/3 chance of winning the pot) and he has only 2 outs to trips to let him beat your potential Ks up. You also might get a free card on 6th with a raise, as Jeffage pointed out...but an astute opponent will probably bet into you again on 6th, figuring you for making an isolation play (it is still worth it to isolate v. such an opponent).