View Single Post
Old 08-04-2005, 06:45 PM

Default Re: This is how you PWN a Empire 5K

[ QUOTE ]
At the beginning of the history, Hero has an M of just under 12

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, for the middle stack in a 3-handed finish, an M of 12 is a wonderful luxury. So often it's an M of 5 or less. In this case he doesn't have to play 44 for all his chips early on, and hope for a fold or the winning end of a coin flip, if he's going to remain a factor. At first I didn't like the 44 fold. But looking at the stack/blind ratio, I think it's fine.

[ QUOTE ]
How often does a great hand come along?

[/ QUOTE ]

in 3-handed play, any PP 77 or higher is a great hand. Ditto for almost any Ax. Probably the top 3 or 4 Broadway combinations, too. I'd say about 1:5 hands passes the test.

[ QUOTE ]
How often does a great hand go up against an opponent willing to get his chips in the middle? How often are you going to be fortunate enough to get all in against a dominated hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair point. But if it happens once in the first 10 hands, life is good. Our Hero waited and got paid off.

[ QUOTE ]
our hero is simply going to hit first more often playing more aggressively.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the final stages of most tournaments -- with much lower Ms for everyone -- you're totally right. In this case, there was a lot more breathing room, and Hero's unusual strategy of waiting for a hand and trying to win it post-flop was possible.