View Single Post
Old 10-14-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: absolute morality - relative morality = 0 ?

[ QUOTE ]

Part of the question is: could my moral feelings ever conflict with my understanding (this is an introspective empirical question, to which I think the answer is no).

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on how attached to a conceptual understanding of reality that one is. If belief in concepts rather than what actually is, is strong, then that will sway a person's thinking towards right vs. wrong which creates duality. That duality is just a concept in the mind though, but which then leads to more thinking along those same lines, which causes confusion as to what is actually truth or 'right'. If the mind believes concepts are reality, then the body/mind is imprisoned by thought. It would be like having a bad childhood memory and everytime you think about it you feel terrible. That is when the mind is strongly attached to a belief/thought. The mind that is able to see thoughts come and go without being swayed by them is the mind that sees reality/truth IMO and which from morals feel right/truthful.

[ QUOTE ]
The second part is: could I ever expect to behave more morally in a given situation then to follow this feeling/understanding. (assuming there is an absolute morality).

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there's anything more one could do except to be their own mind. I think what causes problems is that everybody has their own attachments which sway their judgment this way or that way. The natural mind that remains after attachments are exposed, and which is/has been there the whole time, knows truth because it views reality without the haze of conceptual bias or, just views the reality/truth of the moment.