View Single Post
Old 10-14-2005, 05:11 AM

Default Re: absolute morality - relative morality = 0 ?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking it doesn't matter where the moral feelings come from. I'm not saying they are correct (assuming an absolute morality to make the concept of correctness valid).

The question I wondering about is, how can I do better, in any situation, than trust my moral feelings? Assume the feeling may be misleading, then what can I do that is better?

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

If your trying to find ultimate truth/morality, then understanding where the thoughts that drive your actions/more thinking come from, is important in order to realize that a conceptual understanding of morals is not the same as being moral. If you act from your guiding principles because you intrinsically feel they are truth, then that is Ultimate truth to the degree that you understand that innate quality about/of yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]To be fair to chez, I believe he is restating his theory of the repugnance of "gods" punishment. Although, in doing so he may just (big if) stumble upon evidence of absolute ethics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very similar although I believe that was logically watertight whereas this includes the no god situation which requires more investigation of the nature of the moral feelings.

chez