View Single Post
Old 03-13-2002, 08:35 PM

Default Re: The Seductive Brutalities of Poker

Andy,

I think one could also infer that the author is describing someone who not a social misfit but has issues with spending their life behind a desk making someone else rich. This person lives their life for themself because they have decided that becoming a part of the capitalist mechinations of the commercial workplace do not fulfill them and demand that they continually sacrafice things they hold dear (free time, choice of hours, honesty and integrity) in order to be successful. So others might find them unsuccessful in the material side of life, as well as "unable to fit, outside the system, beholden to no one" etc.. That individual can also be a very kind person who just happens to have different values then many around him. It is not implied that he does not treat people kindly or does not find immense fulfillment in his life and his choices. I feel that you are adding that aspect to make your point. I also think you are correct in some ways. I do, however, think their are people who chose to live "outside the system" but are not socially inept jerks.

I am one of them.

KJS