View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Best Creedence Clearwater Revival Album?

[ QUOTE ]
I think his point (if he has a point, heheh) is that CCR doesn't really have a definitive album, but each album has a couple of great songs and a bunch of snoozers...Really tho', are they the kind of band that has one great song and they remake it on every album to greater or lesser success? This is a good thing in my opinion. Eclecticism is the bane of modern rock.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with every sentiment expressed here. I think Pendulum and Mardi Gras are albums w. a few good tunes and a bunch of snoozers, but the rest are fairly solid the whole way through, esp. the three I named in my first post. CCR had a "sound" but it wasn't "one song." Many of the songs that make up their sound are very different from each other. "Lodi" and "Travelin' Band" for instance. Maybe I'm wrong tho, I could be too close to their music.

As to the second part, I don't know about that either...some bands do well with the same thing (Bon Scott AC/DC for one, Tom Petty), some fall flat when they try to reinvent themselves (Axl Rose is the biggest example, tho I include Petty in this group too), some reinvent themselves rather well. I have always been a John Mellencamp fan, and one of the things I like about him is he doesn't keep making Uh-Huh over and over again, his albums are different every time. Do some of his fans find his newer music less accessible than The Lonesome Jubilee? Sure, but that's their problem. It's great music.

I liked your post on AC/DC, and I think you're right...Thunderstruck and tunes like that sounded a lot better when they were surrounded by glam hair metal pussies.