View Single Post
Old 09-10-2005, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Push with nines?

Well aces, I know you have been waiting with bated breath for my reply so here it is. The key factor is what you put your opponent on. It could a set which you seem to believe unlikely on a rainbow board but he could be afraid of a straight draw since a late position raiser could often have 8765 or similar. He could also have 2 pair with like AK93ds or bottom 2 with a straight draw himself, or just 1 pair plus a straight draw. The last possible holding is an overpair such as AA/KK played slow preflop because of junky sidecards.

As you say, your hand is not in bad shape against anything other than a set. But you want to play in a way that doesn't insure you lose the max when you are beat come the river while only winning a little when you are ahead which running him off a marginal holding would do when you raise sometimes. Like Dave said a lot depends on your read if you have played with him much. But I think a very viable option is to just call and see what the turn brings. The pot size will then be such that he has to either bet or call allin. If another high card comes and he checks, he often can be squarely put on bottom 2 or 1 pair plus a draw and you can bet top 2 then, still having outs to fill if he has a lower set, and can charge him to draw if he doesn't. And if the turn doesn't give you 2 pair but does bring a backdoor flush draw for you then you can take a free card. So in summary I prefer to call but would fold before raising. And although only calling invites the SB to come in cheaper, he will only do so with a draw or weak holding and that is more odds on your money if you are behind and need to help.

You should also think what he puts you on. If he puts you on AA he can either beat it or is trying to run you off it. So again calling lets a weaker hand bet his money off while not losing as much if he has you beat and you don't like the turn. I know I frequently criticize others for calling their stacks off with bad money odds draws, but this situation seems like it merits it if you don't think a fold is in order.